James A. Herod, born in Flint,
Michigan, but reared by an uncle in Memphis,
Tennessee, came to Abbeville, Louisiana
before the turn of the century. On June 21,
1899 he married Miss Josephine Robinson,
daughter of James Robinson and Rose Joiner in
Rev. Herod became the second
pastor of St. Mary Congregational Church located
on South Louisiana Street in Abbeville.
As the church membership grew
Rev. Herod helped organize a Sunday School, a
Womenís Missionary Society and Daily Vacation
Rev.and Mrs. Herod were both
active in Vermilion Parish public schools, she
as a teacher and he as teacher and principal.
At one time he was a member of the Board of
Directors of the Abbeville Chamber of Commerce.
Always interested in civic,
religious and educational affairs
of Vermilion Parish he was recognized as a good
citizen and a true gentlemen.
When the new $1,000,000 school
building was erected on Lampman Street,
replacing the one where Rev. Herod had last been principal, it was named Herod
High School in his honor. The Herods lived at
601 St. Victor Street until Rev. Herodís death in 1948. He was interred
in the Congregational Church cemetery on Prairie
Avenue in Abbeville. Mrs. Herod went to live with her children in
California where she died on Easter Sunday
April 1, 1956.
East Abbeville Elementary was built in 1958. In
1991 East Abbeville was renamed James A. Herod
James A. Herod Biography on the
Vermilion Parish Historical Society Website.