Located on Charity Street
(on the corner next to the Flea Market building)
Vermilion Parish Parenting Center Abbeville, La.
Parenting Center 898-5808
Note: This is the place to go if your child is struggling with reading or math skills. Mrs. Bridget will provide you with materials, so you can work with your child at home. These materials are free.
Suggestion: Call before you go, state the problem that your child is having and the child's teacher. They can contact the teacher if they need more information.
1. Check your child's folder nightly.
2. Read the homework calendar found in your child's Core Folder
or check the homework online.
3. Set a schedule time for doing homework nightly.
4. Homework is to be done in a quiet area away from noise and TV.
5. Supervise your child doing homework. A first grade student is too
young to go in their room and study. Most students of this age have not
learn how to study alone yet.
6. Have all materials needed located at you child's homework area
to avoid getting up and looking for materials. Suggestion: Put pencils,
crayons, scissors, ruler, manipulatives (can be old buttons or pennies)
and etc. in a shoe box.
7. When your child's writes spelling words have them write and say the
sounds out loud. When the child has finished writing the words, call
the words out to the child. Let the child write the words on paper.
This will reinforce the letter formation in the words. You can also have
your child spell them orally examples: before going to bed, in the
morning, and etc.
8. Handwriting practice should be practiced during all writing assignment.
Spelling is a good example. When the child writes the words it should be
like the teacher's model . Letters must be formed to the correct size and
shape. Letters are to be made a certain way-see Handwriting handouts
at the front part of the Core Folder.
9. Math Facts-Make flash cards and have your child drill nightly for 5 to
10 minutes. This is a very important skill. Your child must learn these
in first grade. Next year more facts will be added.