Gueydan, Louisiana is a peaceful little town in Vermilion Parish. Gueydan began in 1898, and was incorporated in 1899. It was named after Jean Pierre Gueydan. It is a town with about 1,598 people in it. In 1999, Gueydan became 100 years old. Gueydan is named "Duck Capital of the World". There is a Duck Festival every year. It started in 1977. It is located on the west side of Vermilion Parish.
Gueydan Museum was established in 1990.
The Gueydan Museum is filled with old artifacts and pictures. The building
was built in 1902. It was originally the
Bank of Gueydan. The Museum now is filled with
interesting facts. The City Hall
was built in 1938 and still stands today on the boulevard.
Rice crops, farming, hunting and fishing were
all part of the area.
June 17, 2005
Lesson Plan: Community and Family History VP for Kids Page Vermilion Parish PowerPoint What's In a Name Lesson (Naming of Each Town) Gueydan Timeline Link Gueydan Timeline Gueydan Timeline to Create Link Gueydan Timeline Activity for Kids Gueydan Links for Kids History of Gueydan Printable Gueydan Photos Rubric (Timeline to grade) Family Tree printable Timeline Printable Abbeville Kaplan Erath Gueydan Maurice Delcambre Other Areas
The Way We Were: A Photo Retrospective
The Early Years
1938 Rice Harvest
Presented in conjunction with the Gueydan Centennial
(Photos from Jesse Owens Elementary Site)
|Henry/Bancker||Pecan Island||Mouton Cove||Indian Bayou||Meaux||Vermilion Tourism||Lessons||VPSB Site|
|Festivals||Resources||Animals||Museums||Un Gout Message||Webmaster||Roots.web||Vermilion Historical Society|